Serving size: 4
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 mins
A typical South African dish, prepared as a vegetarian version. The sweet potato bulks up the recipe to make a filling meal, without the need for additional rice – especially when you need to control your carb portions.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry onions, ginger and garlic until soft. Add sweet potato and spices and fry until aromatic. Reduce heat.
- Add lentils and tea and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C.
- Add raisins, vinegar and salt. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Spoon into an oven dish.
- Mix eggs and buttermilk and season with pepper. Pour on top of the lentil mixture. Place bay leaves in the egg mixture and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with green veggies, like broccoli or spinach, or a salad. Bobotie is delicious with a chunky salsa of cucumber, tomato and fresh herbs.
- Substitute sweet potato with butternut, if preferred.
Recipe by Pharma Dynamics
Cooking from the heart