Serving size: 4
Preparation Time: 3 hours
Soaking the beans overnight takes some planning, but worth the wait for a hearty family meal.
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with 3 cups (750 ml) cold water. Soak overnight, drain and rinse.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the meat until brown. Spoon out.
- Fry onions, celery and carrots in the pot for a few minutes. Add ginger, garlic, dried herbs, cloves and bay leaves and fry for another few minutes.
- Add the beans, meat, salt and tea and stir through. Simmer with a lid for 1½-2 hours or until the meat and beans are cooked.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cauliflower and spinach and simmer with a lid for 15-20 minutes or until just cooked. Add more tea, if necessary. Season with lemon juice and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Serve with a green salad or lightly cooked green veggies, if preferred. The beans and veggies provide enough carbs and this casserole does not have to be served on another starch – perfect when you need to manage the carbs in your meals.
- If you are short on time, use tinned beans. Cook the meat and veggies as above, without the beans. Add 1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained in step 5.
- Make sure that you cut the meat into small cubes so that it cooks at the same time as the beans.
- Note that the carb key is close to the range of ‘bowl 2’. See page 30 for more detail on the carb key.
* Allow for soaking time
Recipe by Pharma Dynamics
Cooking from the heart