Serving size: 4
Preparation Time: 50 mins
The sweet-sour flavour of curried beans is typically South African but can be very sweet. This version has a good balance between the different flavours.
- Place beans, onion and garlic in a pot. Add tea or water and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 5 - 7 minutes or until the veggies are almost tender. Stir once during this time.
- Meanwhile, mix cornflour paste with lemon juice and rind, vinegar, curry powder, turmeric and sugar or honey.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the veggies and stir well to coat. Simmer with a lid for another 5 - 7 minutes or until the sauce thickens. The beans and onions should be cooked, but the beans should still be green and crunchy, well coated with the sauce.
- Stir in the salt. Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.
- Prepare the recipe as above, but leave out the green beans. Stir any tin of well-drained beans of your choice into the sauce, simmer as above and allow to cool.
- The thickness of the green beans will determine the cooking time.
- Any leftover curried beans can be stored in a sterilised container for up to two weeks.
Recipe by Pharma Dynamics
Cooking from the heart