Serving size: 5
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
It is important to eat seasonal fruit, as it will be more affordable and has much more flavour when in season. See what is available and choose a variety of colours to add lots of vitamins and minerals to your breakfast.
- Prepare fruit by peeling, coring, slicing and chopping according to your choice of fruit. Mix together gently.
- Serve 1 cup (250 ml) of fruit salad per person and add ¼ cup (60 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt and 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower seeds or almonds for a filling breakfast.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or mint for a different flavour. Try to avoid adding honey, as the fruit is naturally sweet. Any nuts or seeds of your choice are delicious with this breakfast.
- If preferred, serve fruit salad with ¼ cup (60 ml) homemade oats.
- Enjoy ½ cup (125 ml) fruit salad as a snack portion between meals.
- Did you know? One portion of whole fruit, the size of your fist = 1 portion of fruit; 1 cup (250 ml) of peeled and cut fruit for breakfast = 2 portions of fruit for the day.
- Remember that lemon juice is a great seasoning when serving fruit. Add a few drops to 1 cup (250 ml) sliced fruit for extra flavour. This can also prevent the fruit from browning too quickly.
Recipe by Pharma Dynamics
Cooking from the heart