Serving size: 6
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 mins
This Malva pudding recipe is a much-loved traditional dessert. Few things can warm and comfort like a bowlful with homemade vanilla custard. This version is not too sweet and the buttermilk adds a soft texture.
- Preheat oven to 180 °c and lightly grease a 1,5-litre oven dish with oil.
- Mix flours and bicarb together.
- Beat egg, sugar, jam and vanilla until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Stir buttermilk and butter in a pot over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add the vinegar – the mixture will curdle, but don’t worry.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Gradually add the warm buttermilk mixture and beat to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into an oven dish and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, place sauce ingredients in a small pot. Stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Prick the hot pudding all over with a fork as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Pour hot sauce over and allow to absorb. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Serve hot with homemade custard.
- Make strong rooibos tea with 1 tea bag in ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water.
- For a different flavour, substitute the rooibos tea in the sauce for orange juice.
- When buttermilk is not available: mix 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk with 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice.
Allow to stand for a few minutes and use as above.
- Low-sugar homemade custard: make custard with 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk, 2 - 3 tbsp (30 - 45 ml) custard powder
and 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar by following the instructions on the packaging. Season with vanilla essence and finely grated lemon rind.
Recipe by Pharma Dynamics
Cooking from the heart