- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Poach the fish in 125 ml (½ cup) of the milk for 10–15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cook onion and garlic in water/non-stick spray until the onion is transparent.
- Add the chutney, curry powder, masala, turmeric and oats, and fry lightly. Add the onion mixture, sultanas, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to the cooked fish and milk and mix thoroughly. Spoon into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Add the egg to the remainder of the milk and beat together until well combined. Add half to the fish mixture and mix it in lightly.
- Pour the remaining milk and egg mixture over the fish, press the lemon or bay leaves into the fish bobotie, and bake the bobotie in the centre of the oven for 20minutes, or until the egg and milk mixture has set.
- Serve hot with low GI rice (Tastic or basmati rice), barley or pearled wheat (boil about 190 ml (¾ cup) to serve 4), and green tomato, banana and onion, and cucumber salad.
Mary-Anne Victor—Dietician at Intercare Walmer