What you need
- A piece of cardboard
- A circle template (e.g. a glass)
- A small circle (e.g. a coin)
- Pen & scissors
- Yarn/ wool or the desired colour
- Making a pom-pom with cardboard discs is the easiest way to make pom poms with kids
- Cut two large circular discs – using your glass as a template.
- Draw a smaller circle in the centre. The distance between the inner and outer circle will determine how big your pom-pom will be. Make sure the smaller circle isn’t too big. If it is too big, it will be harder to tie off at the end.
- Cut a slit from the outer circle to the smaller one and cut the smaller circle out.
- Cut a second slit -so you have an opening to your cardboard ring. This will make it much easier to wrap your yarn around the pom-pom. Repeat for the second disc.
- Put both cardboard discs together. Start wrapping the yarn. The thicker you wrap the yarn, the fluffier the pom-pom will be.
- Once you’re happy with the quantity of yarn used, start cutting the yarn by pushing the scissors between the two discs. It can be fiddly, and a good pair of scissors makes all the difference.
- Make sure the short pieces of yarn do not “fall out” of the central hole.
- Carefully wrap a long piece of yarn between the two cardboard discs, and around the pom-pom. Tie off as tightly as possible. Repeat to secure it.
- Pull your pom-pom out and you’re done!