With spring in the air, most of us turn to healthier eating. Here’s some easy low-carb snack ideas that are not just healthy, but also great tasting.
- Yogurt and cucumbers: Use a cup of low-fat, plain Greek yogurt as a creamy dip for 1 cup of refreshing cucumber spears. It adds up to 10 grams of carbs and a mega dose (21 grams) of appetite-satisfying protein.
- Apples and cheese: Sweet and salty flavours add up to a great snack. Pair a cup of apple slices with 28g of mozzarella cheese. The combination of protein, fat, and fibre makes it a filling and satisfying snack.
- Avocado on a crisp: Mash 1/4 of a ripe avocado and spread it on 2 light rye crisps for a crunchy, creamy snack with 17.3 grams of carbs, plus plenty of fibre and heart-healthy fat.
- Ham roll-ups: Lose the bread and roll up a slice of ham in lettuce leaves with mustard. This light, crisp snack has 3.7 grams of carbs and will get you through the afternoon.
- Cottage cheese with berries: Pair a cup of low-fat cottage cheese with half a cup of fresh or frozen blueberries and a little of your favourite no-calorie sweetener. The result? A dessert-like snack with 17 grams of carbs.
- Hardboiled egg with a kick: Cut a hard-boiled egg in half and spread on a little hot sauce to make it as full of flavour as it is of protein. That’s a zesty bite for less than 1 gram of carbs.
- Sweet bell peppers and guacamole: Make a quick low-carb guacamole dip for your bell pepper slices by mashing avocado, onion, garlic, lime juice, and salt together in a bowl.
- Smoked salmon cucumber bites: For a tasty and nutritious low-carb snack, spread plain cream cheese on cucumber slices, then fold strips of smoked salmon on the slices and top with fresh cracked pepper.
- Caprese salad: To make a small caprese salad, combine 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of mozzarella and 1 tablespoon of chopped, fresh basil leaves. Toss together with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a dash of sea salt. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar over the salad for an additional boost of flavour.
- Black olives with cheddar cheese: Dice one slice of cheddar cheese and put into the hole of 7 pitted black olives. Pop into your mouth and enjoy!
- Cream cheese celery: Simply stuff some celery with cream cheese and snack away. Throw in some herbs or nuts for extra flavour.
- Hummus and red bell pepper wedges: Spread 1/4 cup of hummus onto wedges cut from one red bell pepper for a filling, tasty snack that has 16.4 grams of carbs.
- Cucumber Boats: Slice cucumbers in half and scoop the seeds out. Stuff them with cream cheese and deli meats.